Tennis & Pickleball
Black Butte Ranch will inspire you to take your game to new heights.
Tennis enthusiasts may utilize 14 outdoor tennis courts throughout the Ranch, including three lighted courts. Pickleball enthusiasts may utilize 12 beautiful regulation outdoor pickleball courts. Our Black Butte Ranch on-site Director of Tennis and Pickleball Evan Sims offers private and group lessons beginning mid-June.
Meet others in tennis and pickleball skill levels in our stunning natural environment.
Court reservations are required on most courts from Memorial Day through Labor Day. Call 541-595-1285 or stop by the GMRC Rec Counter to reserve your court, rent a racket or schedule a lesson.
Court reservations are on the hour. Reservations may be made only one day in advance -contact GMRC at 541-595-1285. Limit of two hours of play/household/day.
|Glaze Meadow Family Rec Area Pickleball Courts #1-4||GMRC Pickleball Courts #5-12|
UGM Courts #12-13 (located on Triflorium); striped for pickleball & tennis use. Please limit play to 1 hour if others are waiting.
Watch the progress as these courts were built in 2021 (Photo credits: BBR Homeowner Dr. William Benson)
Pickleball Club & Drop-in Play
GMRC Courts # 5-12
BBR Pickleball Club | Tues/Thurs/Sat | 9am-11am
Drop in Play | Mon/Wed/Fri | 8am-10am
Club Play Tu, Th, Sat | 10am-12pm
Drop-In Play (No Host) Mon, Wed, Fri | 10am-12pm
This year the Central Oregon Pickleball Summer League begins and Black Butte Ranch has been invited to join the league. The league is made up of advanced women players at 4.0 level.
Central Oregon League Participants
- Eagle Crest
- Widgi Creek
- La Pine
- Bend Pickleball Club
- Broken Top
Black Butte Ranch Aspen Aces
Our Black Butte Ranch homeowner team is called the ‘Aspen Aces’, members from the Ranch are:
Black Butte Ranch – League Captain: Louise Muscato GM63 541-760-1933
Black Butte Ranch League Co-Captain: Beth Erickson EM41
Black Butte Ranch League Member: Nancy Hennin SH36
All home matches will be at the new Glaze Meadow Pickleball Courts #5-12. Stop on by and root our Black Butte players on.
June 1 | 1-3pm | BBR vs. LaPine (Home)
June 15 | 1-3pm | BBR vs. Widgi Creek (Home)
June 29 | 1-3pm | BBR vs. Eagle Crest (Home)
July 13 | 1-3pm | BBR vs. Broken Top (Home)
August 10 | 1-3pm | BBR vs. Bend Pickleball Club (Home)
$8 for a one-hour rental from the GMRC Recreation Desk. Includes one racket and a few balls.
BB Pickleball FAQs
Call the Tennis & Pickleball line at 541-595-1285 for additional information.
How many pickleball courts are on Black Butte Ranch (BBR) and where are the courts located?
- Courts 1-4 are located at the Glaze Meadow Family Recreation Area
- Courts 5-12 are located at the Glaze Meadow Recreation Center (GMRC)
- Upper Glaze Meadow pool area has 2 tennis courts with pickleball lines; tennis nets are used; these courts are non-reservation
How do I reserve a pickleball court for play?
- Walk-in and reserve at GMRC Desk or call (541) 595-1285
Is there equipment I can rent to play pickleball?
- Paddles and balls are available to rent at the GMRC, (541) 595-1285. Pickleball clothing and equipment are for sale in the GMRC Sports Shop.
What is Drop-In Play?
- Drop-In Play is a set time for homeowners, family members, and guests to meet others to form teams or matches with other players. It is a great way to meet other players and enjoy a fun or challenging match. Contact GMRC 541-595-1285 for times for drop-in play
After I show up for Drop-In Play, how will I know what to do?
- At each session of Drop-In Play a host will help players get organized and get play started. Balls will be provided. Players must provide their own paddles or rent paddles from the GMRC.
What is the Black Butte Ranch Pickleball Club?
- The purpose of the Club is to grow the game of Pickleball for all ages, levels, and The Club creates an environment that promotes health, social interaction, good sportsmanship, and fun. Skill and mentoring programs are continually offered to enhance organized recreational, and competitive play. The Club consists of many passionate pickleball homeowners, (full time and part-time) and their family members. The current 100 Club members range in skill level from beginners to advanced players.
- Any homeowner or homeowner family member is eligible to join the Club by simply emailing their contact information: first and last name, email address, phone number and lot number to Brody@gmail.com
Is there someone available who can help me improve my skills?
- The Black Butte Ranch Tennis and Pickleball Instructor is Evan Sims and Pickleball Instructor Dayton Mason. To schedule a pickleball lesson or sign up for his special events, call GMRC (541) 595-1285, or stop by the desk and speak to the assistant.
I’ve seen a pickleball practice machine on the court, how can I have access to it.
- A pickleball practice machine has been purchased by the Pickleball Club through donations and is available to only Club Members, for use during Club playing times and by reservation.
|Pickleball Courts 1-4 at the
Glaze Meadow Family Rec Area
|Pickleball Courts 5-12 at the
Glaze Meadow Recreation Center (GMRC)
Court Reservations | 541-595-1285
Reservations are available the day prior to play. Court reservations are limited to two hours of play/day/household, except in the case of the lighted courts which will be limited to one hour of play during the evening after 7pm. Reservation courts that are not in use 10 minutes after the hour become available for drop-in play until the next reservation.
|Big Meadow #1-2|
|South Meadow #3-4|
|Glaze Meadow #5-9|
|Limit of 2 hours of play/household/day|
|LIGHTED RESERVATION COURTS
(Lit until 11pm)
|Glaze Meadow #7-9|
|Limit 1 hour of play/household/day|
|Glaze Meadow #10-11|
|Upper Glaze Meadow #12-13
Upper Glaze Meadow #12-13 (tennis & pickleball lines on court)
Paulina Court #14 (no parking available: bike or walk)
Lighted Reservation Courts
Glaze Meadow Courts #7-9
Limit of one hour of play/household/day
Courts are lit until 11pm
Tennis Players List
The Glaze Meadow Tennis office keeps a list of people interested in playing tennis. Call (541) 595-1285 and leave your name, ability level and phone number. Or come in any time to talk with our tennis and front desk staff.
Racquet Stringing Service
Stringing Service is available through our Tennis Director Evan Sims, USPTA, at the tennis office at the GMRC. Price dependent on string choice.
Tennis & Pickleball Lessons
Begin June 14, 2023
9-10am Lil Shots
10-11am Big Shots
5-6:30pm Twilight Tennis
9-10am Cardio Tennis
10-11am Intro to Pickleball
11am-12pm Teen Tennis
9-10am Lil Shots
10-11am Big Shots
9-10am Cardio Tennis
8am-2pm Open for private lessons
Private and Group lessons and Hitting Lessons available upon request for tennis and pickleball
Wednesday-Sunday | 8-9am
W/F/S/SU | 11am-4pm
Thursday | 12-4pm
$80/hr – $40/half hour
$45/player for 2 people
$35/player for 3 people
Hitting lesson: $50/hr
All Drop in Adult & Junior Clinics $25/player
*Adult Clinics are for players 18 years or older unless approved by the tennis staff.
This popular, fast-paced clinic is a fun, group activity featuring drills and games to give players of all abilities an ultimate, high-energy workout. Cardio Tennis includes a warm-up, cardio workout, and cool down phases while hitting hundreds of balls. If you want to find a healthy, new way to get in shape and to burn calories, join us at the Glaze Meadow tennis courts for an hour of nonstop TENNIS and music guaranteed to keep your heartrate up.
Adult Drop in
Intro to Pickleball: Thursday 10-11am
Learn stroke technique, score keeping and the basics of the fastest growing sport in the country! Ages 10+; Drop in: $25/Clinic
This is a fast-paced class that puts all the focus on point play. These addicting fast-paced doubles style games get you dialed in! BBR Liveball will help build stamina, focus, reaction time and confidence on the tennis court. Come to the courts for an hour of Liveball and see why this drill session is all the rage. Adult Drop in: $25/Clinic
Let us introduce your child to the game of tennis! We use Quick Start balls and nets to ensure all of our Lil’ Shots find success and have fun with every hit! Build the foundation of tennis with energetic games and athletic movements. Hand eye coordination and FUN are the center points of tennis at this age. $25/player
Whether your child is just starting or has been playing for years, this class will help reinforce stroke fundamentals and introduce sportsmanship, rallying, and scorekeeping in a fun environment. Through the summer the kids will learn all the strokes it takes to play a match at their level and age. $25/player
This class is for the middle to high school tennis players who are looking to gain some ground in their matches next season. With lots of point play and stroke production, the juniors will be fired up and ready for next year’s tennis season. Practice makes permanent and there is nothing better than a summer on the tennis courts at Black Butte Ranch to hone in your game. $25/player
Join us after the heat of the day for an hour and a half of point play and liveball coordinated by our tennis staff. Enjoy tennis in the shade of the ponderosas during this social tennis evening. Cool off by the courts or the pool with a cold beer, included in the price of the clinic. $25/player
Build your Own Clinic
Reserve your time slot with the GMRC Rec Desk. Do you have a family reunion and are looking for a great group activity? If you have between 4-8 players you can pick your time slot, your drills/games and create your own private tennis clinics with our certified tennis professional. Coordinate with our front desk staff and let them know how many players will be attending as price varies per number of players.